A. Edwin Wilson
Rev. A. Edwin
Wilson, having reached his eightieth year and still very active in the
ministry of the Word, is one of the great Bible teachers of our times.
He is a man who, for the past fifty years, day after day could be found
in his study long before sunrise, delving into the Word of God in
anticipation of a hungry, waiting people to whom he ministered.
A native Texan,
Rev. Wilson received his formal education at Howard Payne University and
Southern Baptist Seminary. While in seminary during the years 1928 -
1930 he studied under such giants of that day as John R. Sampey, A. T.
Robertson, and William Hersey Davis, men whose impact upon his life can
still be seen in his ministry today.
Returning to the
West following seminary, Rev. Wilson taught school for a short time in
New Mexico. He then pastored churches during the 1930's and 1940's in
the Texas towns and cities of Lometa, Whon, Comanche, Robstown, and
Amarillo. During his ministry in Amarillo, and for many years
thereafter, he also held an annual series of Bible classes in Clovis,
In 1950 Rev. and
Mrs. Wilson were led of the Lord to leave their native state of Texas
and move to Chattanooga, Tennessee. In Chattanooga, Rev. Wilson assumed
the directorship of the Southern Hebrew Mission - a position which he
held until January, 1980. In 1951, in addition to his work with the
mission, Rev. Wilson became pastor of the Daytona Heights Baptist Church
in Red Bank, Tennessee - a position he also held until January, 1980. At
that time he resigned his position with both the mission and the church
in view of other areas of ministry as the Lord should lead.
In past years Rev.
Wilson was a regular speaker at such popular and well known Bible
conferences as those held at Winona Lake (1949) and Moody Bible
Institute (Torrey Chapel -- 1947 - 1949). While in Chicago he presented
"Jonah, a Type of Israel" at the church pastored by A. W.
Tozer. He also was a speaker at more than ten Mt. Hermon Bible
Conferences in the West. During the decades of the '60's and '70's, Rev.
Wilson was the speaker on the "Hear, O Israel" broadcast -- a
radio ministry of the Southern Hebrew Mission directed to the "lost
sheep of the House of Israel," which went out over stations in
Miami, New York, Chicago, Phoenix, and San Diego.
ministry was centered around proclaiming "What the Bible says,"
and that "the Bible means what it says." His study of
the Scripture revolved around "words, and their meaning."
Sitting under the
ministry of a pastor with such a background, who realized his
responsibility, and placed the emphasis in the correct place -- teaching
the Word of God to Christians whom the Lord placed under his care -- was
one of the great experiences of life. Happy are the enviable
one who were privileged to enter into this experience. Their lives
have never been the same . . .